Wednesday, November 08, 2006

So About That Novel...

Alternate Title: I Don't Wanna Play, I Just Wanna Bang On The Drum All Day

So today I went to a two-hour meeting on my school's Indoor Drumline program at my school. I intend to play mallets for the 2007 season, which shouldn't be too hard given the fact that I play piano and was impressed as to how easy two-mallet playing is. Four-mallet will be harder, but hey. Anyways, I got home and my parents and I discussed how scheduling will work if I do Indoor, because it is a huge frikkin' time commitment. That's when they got all up in my face about the fact that I'm not meeting expectations and how they think I've got too much on my plate yada yada yada and basically what happens to, and this is an exact figure, 100% of high school juniors. It's only, y'know, the hardest year of grade school.

Anyways, the topic fell inevitable to NaNoWriMo. I'm doing amazingly well this year, as I haven't gotten below 2k any day yet this month. Today is the first exception, since now I've got all kinds of bullshit work. So while I'm not behind, I got quite possibly the worst talk ever. Here's the gist of it:
I've told you before and I'm gonna tell you again, Matt. I think that doing NaNoWriMo this year is stupid. I'm not gonna support you, and neither is your mother. You shouldn't be doing it, it is the least important thing on your plate, and it's only going to hurt you in the long run.

So basically my parents don't give a damn about what is my most anticipated project this year. I've been planning this since at least August. Not only that, I intend to try to get it published for real this year, as it is turning out to be a really good novel that I think would actually stand a chance at some publishing houses.

So if you skipped to the end: parents don't want me writing, I do want me to write, as well as participate in Indoor Drumline. We'll see what happens.

</rant>

No comments: