Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Little Things

It's the little things which make a difference sometimes. Take earlier today, for instance. This week, I have been struggling under a massive amount of work that has all been assigned in the past week, including, but not limited to, three video projects, one 10+ page research paper, and a group presentation for English. So imagine my distress when I get a progress report from my Spanish teacher today giving me a grade of 66% in the class. Needless to say, I was quite distressed. This was then augmented by the fact that I currently have two B's in that class, one C, and a C on the midterm (which averages with the final to form another marking period). My top choice college, Olin College, does not accept students who receive C's in a class (it's damn hard to get into.) So now you know where my issue was.

So I took a closer look at the progress report. Most grades were actually quite good. Mostly A's, one B and one C (on a 15-point assignment, no less, so not even worth that much). But there was also one F. I took a look at that. Zero points out of 64. Damn. I quickly summed up the total points for the marking period, and got about 240. So I was missing over a quarter of the required work for the class, meaning that if I turned it in and got a 100% I would end up with about a 92%.

Distressed, I flipped through my work, and found the assignment sitting there in my binder, having never been turned in. 32 questions, 64 points, and the difference between a D and an A. My teacher accepted it, since obviously I had already done it. Those two pieces of paper literally saved my chance to go to my #1 college choice.

So celebrate the little things, because sometimes they're all that matters.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Yikes! I am glad to hear that the day was saved.